The following abbreviations will be used:
- SATB=Mixed four-part choir SSAA=Four-part women’s choir SSA=Three-part women’s choir SA=Two-part women’s choir MBC=Men and boys choir SOP=Soprano voice BAR=Baritone voice BS=Bass voice MSTTBR=Mezzo Soprano, two Tenors, Baritone
- Accompanying instruments: ORG=Organ PNO=Piano TPT=Trumpet TUB=Tubular bells GNG=Gong PERC=Percussion UNC=Unaccompanied
- The pieces marked with an asterisk are also suitable for a cathedral MBC.
- Texts by living authors/poets are marked by a double asterisk.
|Agnus Dei from Missa Brevis*1||SATB / UNC||Traditional Latin Mass||05:56 Play extract|
|Alleluia Variations 2||SSA / UNC||Singular word "Alleluia"||05:45 Play|
|Amen Variations||SATB / TUB / GNG||Singular word "Amen"||04:00|
|Awake, Awake3||SATB / UNC||Poem by Caroline Hope**||03:30|
|Blow Out, Ye Bugles4|
|SATB / ORG / TPT||Poem by Rupert Brooke||07:00|
|Eyeing Death||SSAA||Poem by Irina Kuzminskaya **||07:00|
|Gloria from Missa Brevis*1||SATB / UNC||Traditional Latin Mass text||05:56 Play extract|
|The Holy City (1)*1||SATB / UNC||Book of Revelation Chaps. 21-22||07:23 Play extract|
|The Holy City (2)||Solo SOP / SSA||Book of Revelation Chap. 21:1-6||05:00|
|The Hymn of St. Patrick1||SATB / ORG||St. Patrick's Breastplate (Eng. trans.)||05:14 Play extract|
|Kyrie from Missa Brevis*1||SATB / UNC||Traditional Latin Mass text||05:00 Play extract|
|The Lamb 2 5||SSAA / PNO||Poem by William Blake||04:29 Play|
|Magnificat I*1||SATB / ORG||New Testament (Luke 1:46-55)||04:55 Play extract|
|Magnificat II||SATB / ORG||New Testament (Luke 1:46-55)||03:30 Play|
|Nirvana2||SSA / UNC||Poem by Mikhail Lermontov (Eng. trans.)||02:45 Play|
|Nunc Dimittis I*1||SATB / ORG||New Testament (Luke 2:29-32)||03:07 Play extract|
|Nunc Dimittis II||SATB / ORG||New Testament (Luke 2:29-32)||02:00 Play|
|O Lord, It Could Be Paradise||SATB / UNC||Poem by Honour Stern||03:15|
|O Magnum Mysterium I 2||SSA / PNO||Latin Christmas motet||03:00 Play|
|O Magnum Mysterium II||SATB / UNC||Latin Christmas motet||04:00|
|Prayer for Peace||SATB / UNC||The Seekers Trust prayer6||04:00|
|Psalm 31 (verses 1-6)*1 7||SATB / ORG||Old Testament psalm||04:41 Play extract|
|Psalm 96||SATB / UNC||Old Testament psalm||03:00|
|Psalm 150||SATB / UNC||Old Testament psalm||03:30|
|Responses I *1||SATB / UNC||Traditional Anglican liturgy||01:31 Play|
|Responses II *1|
(including the Lord's Prayer)
|SATB / UNC||Traditional Anglican liturgy||07:06 Play extract|
|Ring Out, Wild Bells||SATB / UNC||Poem by Alfred, Lord Tennyson||06:00|
|Sanctus from Missa Brevis*1||SATB / UNC||Traditional Latin Mass text||04:03 Play extract|
|The Song of Solomon|
(parts 1 & 2)
|MBC / UNC||Old Testament text||11:00|
|The Word 8|
Oratorio divided into six parts:
I. The Tower of Babel
II. The Crucifixion of Language
III. The Lamentations
of the Babylonians
IV. The Prophet and the Heavens
V. The Coming of the Word
VI. The Word Triumphant
|SOP / BAR / BS /|
SATB (chorus) /
ORG / PERC
|Texts by Thomas Merton||38:00|
|Three Medieval Motets|
- Veritas Veritatum
- Nobilis Mei Miserere Precor
- Salve Ver Optatum
|SSAA / UNC||Ms of Benedictbeuern||05:00
|Tenebrae Factae Sunt*1||SATB / ORG||Traditional Latin Good Friday text||06:43 Play extract|
|You Are There3||SATB / UNC||Poem by Caroline Hope**||04:30|
- These pieces all appear on the recording The Holy City sung by Cathedra and issued by Gothic Records. See Recordings.
- These pieces were all premiered and recorded by The LaNova Singers directed by Michelle Nova.
- These pieces have a religious flavour and are suitable for church use as graduals or anthems.
- This work was commissioned by the Washington National Cathedral Choir and was premiered at a special service in Washington DC for the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 disaster.
- This piece is an arrangement for SSAA of the solo song The Lamb. An SA version for junior choir is also available.
- The Seekers Trust prayer is used in their practice of praying for those in need of healing.
- This piece was commissioned by the Gloucester Cathedral Choir.
- This piece also includes a speaking part.